How to make a career from helping others
It seems that people are rushing towards an even more individualized world. The revolution in the way we communicate, marked by the arrival of the Internet and gadgets closely connected with it, has changed our habits. Today when many people get back from work, they rarely go out afterwards, but instead they sit in front of the computer and chat through social media. Most of the things we do, we do on our own, creating self-centered individuals. But there are still many people out there who need our help. The great thing is that you can assist other people in improving the quality of their lives and still make a career.
Volunteering for Deprived Children
Probably the most painful things that we see around us every day are children who don't have anyone to care about them. From kids begging in the streets, where it seems that nothing has changed since the 19th century, to those living in centers for abandoned children, no other group of people undergoes such terrible living conditions as abandoned or orphan children.
What you can do to help them is apply to volunteer or work in centers that care for deprived kids. You can take part in organizing workshops where the kids would draw or sing. Few people actually listen to their stories, so you could also hear what they have to say and help them express themselves in a creative way. Also, you could collect funds by organizing parties or different events for the children in your local community, but also on a wider scale, as well, like contributing to programs dealing with children's hunger.
Heart of Gold for Helping the Old
Have you ever thought about your own old age? What will it look like? Where are you going to live? We often get annoyed with our folks and their complaints, but are we aware of the fact that we are going to be old one day, as well? If you want to feel better and make others feel good, too, many actions can be taken to help our elderly citizens.
- Do the shopping – if you have any relatives or acquaintances who have trouble with walking, you can do the shopping for them a couple of times a week
- Yard maintenance – older people living alone can hardly cut the grass and take care of their backyard. Gathering the leaves, mowing the lawn and cleaning the pathways can be of great help for older folks.
- Driving – if your old neighbor needs to go to the hospital, you can drive him or her there.
When you decide to do charity work, it should be within an institution, where you get at least a symbolic fee for what you do. Taking care of the old people could be a win-win side job – they receive proper treatment and you earn some extra money.
People with Disabilities
Children can be in terrible social and mental condition, but they can get back from the ruins relatively fast if they are given love and attention. The old can be more challenging, because they are often weak and unhappy because of their age. But the biggest challenge is embodied in adult people with some sort of physical disability. They used to be active, successful people and now they need special care. Helping them is demanding, but at the same time extremely cathartic. There are a few rules that everybody helping the disabled should know:
- Treat them equally – never leave an impression that you feel sorry for them. If you know that you will not be able to suppress that feeling, better don’t take up this job.
- Avoid prying – lingering on their accident will only deepen the feeling inside them. Unless they start talking about it on their own, never ask them such questions.
- Encourage them – by spending time in closed areas, you let them down. With their consent, try to take them out and spend time in nature or among people. It will help them improve their condition.
Work on Your Skills
It must be clear that helping others is not at all simple or easy. You often need to learn new skills that will help you deal with all kinds of situations you might come across. People that need a special kind of help should be treated equally as we treat our friends, but there are often some nuances that will make a difference. If you want to gain more knowledge on different charity matters, you can find quality community service courses and get properly equipped for these tasks.
To defeat that self-obsessed selfish person that is being formed in each of us, helping people who cannot make it on their own will remind us what it means to be a human. Only through the humane gestures of care and friendship will we be able to make this world a better place.
Nate M Vickery,
Nate M. Vickery is a business consultant from Sydney, Australia. He’s been strolling through life with positive energy in his heart and mind and that’s working out for him great so far. Aside from work he enjoys spending time with his fiancée and dog.